Sunday, January 2, 2011

The focus is on


Quality over quantity.  The beauty of this goal is that it's applicable to every aspect of life, and in every aspect it covers, it's totally perfect!  I specifically mean this though in a couple of ways: one, with my friends and two, with my wardrobe.  As far as friends, I've been living this rule for awhile and it's made me really happy, so I am taking it even further in 2011.  I used to be the kind of person who had a lot of people I surrounded myself with.  In a way, I almost stretched myself too thin and in effect, would come across as flaky because I just couldn't give my time equally to all the people I chose to have in my life.  And with this came me keeping people in my life who were toxic.  I had so many "friends," but not enough friends.  Note one is with quotations, one is not.  A couple of years ago I starting purging my life of all of the toxic people in it.  I never broke ties with anyone, but I just allowed the friendships to kind of drift in their own way.  I let go of those who were not people I wanted to surround myself with; girls who only gossiped and talked badly about one another, people who made me feel bad for being me, etc. etc.  You have no idea how freeing it is to let go of negativity in your life, be it your own thoughts or people.  It's amazing.  And with this new and open space in my heart, I was able to focus on the people in my life who really mattered, both family and friends.  Now instead of twenty people I call my closest friends, I have just a handful.  But that handful happens to be the nicest, kindest, best-hearted group of human beings I know!  Quantity isn't important, it's the quality that matters, and I feel very fortunate to have the friends that I do.

And on a more materialistic note, this year I will be focusing on the same mantra in my wardrobe.  I'm looking to really build up more quality than quantity in my closet.  I gravitate towards both ends of the spectrum, but in this next year I'm looking forward to more so "collecting" things that I can wear for a lifetime, and finally start building a wardrobe I can get more use out of over a longer period of time.
from sometimes sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your sweet thoughts are welcome! Thanks for dropping a note xxx